Friday, March 22, 2013

My posse

Today was a little...rough. It had nothing to do with Olivia or parenthood at all really. It had to do with work. No, the sky is not falling but I had a bad day like people do at work on occasion and I came home feeling pretty bad about myself.

I counted down the minutes until Mike and Oli got home from the gym and from the minute they walked in, I felt my world righting itself again. Oli came running up to me, shouting "MOMMY!" and ran into my arms wanting to be held and Mike gave me a kiss and asked how my day was. I poured out my struggles and within about 30 seconds, I was feeling better. And not because my husband said "Oh, you poor baby." Mike and I are in the same industry so we're very candid with each other with work stuff. Actually, we're really candid with each other about everything.

At any rate, just talking to him helped me work out the "blah" that I was feeling and helped me to put things in perspective. He gave me assurance that nothing awful was going to happen because of one bad day.

Of course, the whole time Mike and I were talking, Olivia was running circles around us, interrupting every 30 seconds. And that was okay too. I asked her multiple times to please not be so rude but her insistence on  being a part of every single moment is just another reminder to me of the people I have in my corner. At one point I said, "Oli, please, please, please let me talk to daddy. Mommy had a rough day." And she looked at me and said "Are you sick?" with so much sincerity that I just laughed.

I take my work very personally, admittedly sometimes TOO personally. I really do like what I do and I take a lot of pride in my work. It's important to me.

But as I was reminded tonight by the incessant chatter of my sweet girl and the listening ear of my sweet husband, it's not the MOST important thing. It's easy to get carried away with the events of the day and those things ARE important. But only to a certain extent. At some point, you have to brush it off and sit on the couch with your daughter and watch Barney for the 9th time today. At some point you have to turn it off and be with your family. You can't let the bad of the day creep in on all of the good.

There's a lot of good in my life and especially in my home. It's especially good that today is Friday and I have a couple of days to get over it and enjoy all of that good. For tonight, I'm not going to think about the struggles of the day. I'll be spending time with my sweet family. So I better go because I think Barney is about to sing Old McDonald and that's my jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment