Monday, March 11, 2013

How many times do I have to watch this?

Right now, I am watching the Barney sing along video. Again. For about the 100th time. In 2 days. Now, first off, I actually am grateful that my mom got Oli this video. It keeps her enthralled long enough for me to shower or do laundry or cook dinner. It's a nice way to keep her entertained and get a few things done around the house. And I do love watching her do all of the hand motions and sing along to the songs. It's pretty cute. The problem is that she wants to watch it over and over and over again. I miss the days that my television had real quality programming being shown on it. Like The Real Housewives series or Duck Dynasty.

And why can't Barney ever do anything useful? Like he's always doing fun stuff with these kids, like going to the beach or the farm or having a sing along party. That is NOT reality. If he's supposed to be teaching kids lessons about life and how to be good citizens, why can't there be themes on the shows that actually teach the kids things that will help parents too. Like "Barney Cleans His Room That He Messed Up In The First Place" or "Barney Learns To Wipe His Own Butt (Challenging, I know with his tiny t-rex arms but, hey, that's life--challenges)" or "Barney Stops Whining And Learns The Quiet Game?"

At any rate, as I am watching this, I was reminded of a pretty funny conversation we had with Olivia the other day. It went something like this:

Olivia: I'm scared!

Me: What are you scared of?

Olivia: I'm scared for the dine-toe-fours (dinosaurs)

Mike: You're scared of dinosaurs?

Me: Oli, you don't need to be afraid of dinosaurs. No dinosaurs are going to get you.

**And I guess at about this time Mike and I decided to go in two different directions with this because at about the time I said,

"Oli, Barney is a dinosaur and you aren't scared of Barney, right?"

Mike said, "You don't need to be afraid of dinosaurs because all of the dinosaurs are dead."

And Olivia puts my observation and Mike's statement together and asks,

"Barney is dead????"

And as much as we sometimes wish he was, we spent the next five minutes explaining that Barney was fine and she could still watch him all she wanted.

We're really hoping she can use her college fund to pay for therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment