Monday, March 4, 2013

An ordinary day

Today I don't really have much to write about. It was a pretty ordinary day. I worked out, went to work, just had dinner with my loves, and now we are about to watch some cartoon to settle The Boss Lady down for the night.

The morning was good, work was good, and aside from quite a bit of whining from a very tired toddler, tonight's been good too. I feel like I don't have anything really profound to share today. That's life though, right? Some days are just ordinary. And it's the ordinary days I love the most.

The vacations and the days that are full of something "special" or even days that are full of drama or upset are just a small part of this journey of life. It's the ordinary days that make up the majority of life. It's in the ordinary that I find peace and joy. It's easy to get a high from pay day or time at the beach or a fun event or whatever else makes you feel excited. Finding the joy in the day to day is often trickier.

We can start to feel restless or complacent with life during the ordinary. I make an effort to relish in the ordinary, to look around at my life and just feel joy at the people in it. Sometimes I walk through my living room in the evening and think "Wow, I really get to live this life."

I will have always have the memory of our family vacations in the form of a photo album or scrapbook. I'm trying though to cement the ordinary memory of my daughter trying to feed me and Mike chicken nuggets "airplane" style or her right now sitting on the couch commenting on her cartoons and singing. I love how every day Olivia and I eat breakfast together and how Mike and I debrief about our day in between Lady Loco's interruptions. Our day-to-day life is incredible.

Huh, look at that--maybe I had something a little profound to say after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment