Thursday, February 21, 2013

Please don't say "Dog"


I just got finished having a full on conversation with my daughter about the movie ‘Shrek’ and which character wears a belt and the fact that she put on socks because her feet are cold and how we can’t close the closet door because there are clothes hanging up and drying the doorway and how I might get upset and then she would cry because Daddy told her she couldn’t jump in the bathtub. I’m serious, it was the most random and wonderful conversation I’ve ever had. And she’s only 2 & ½.

I remember when she first started talking. I even have a voicemail from September, just 5 short months ago, where she’s just sort of babbling out “Momma, Momma, Momma!” And now she’s speaking in full sentences. FULL SENTENCES! And putting thoughts together and forming opinions about life and her surroundings and, well, US.

When Oli first started making sounds and identifying objects, it was SO. FREAKING. CUTE. I have never, ever baby-talked Olivia and I cannot stand it when people do that to kids but I have a confession to make:  The Boss Lady used to call dogs “Woof Woof’s” And we used to respond with something like, “Yes, that’s right, dog!” But then one day she said “Dog!” and I felt really sad that she no longer said “Woof Woof!” and part of me wanted to say “No, it’s a Woof Woof!”

I was (and still am) so excited about Olivia talking and expressing herself. But the more she is starting to sound like a 21st Century person and less like a Caveman, I feel a *little* sad. Like she used to say “I like it, chocolate/cookies/sandwich/whatever” instead of “I like chocolate/cookies/sandwich/whatever.” And now she doesn’t say that at all.

When she first learned how to say her name we would ask, "What's your name?" And she would proudly announce, "Ah Yee Ya!" Now, when we ask, "Is your name Yee Ya?" She says, "NO! My name is Uh-LIV-eee-uh!" 

I wish I could capture each phase of her speech development on recorder or video. It is incredible how quickly she is learning to express herself and this kid is FULL of expression. She has A LOT to say and I’m amazed at her ability to reason things out.

Last night, my sister-in-law texted to ask about a babysitter for my niece on Saturday and I was telling Mike how I really hoped they could find someone so they could go out and this is the conversation that ensued:

Olivia: What happened?
Me: Nothing happened. Aunt Emily and Uncle Matt need a babysitter so they can go out. Someone needs to watch Baby Aizy.
Olivia: Is she crying?
Me: No baby, no one is crying. They just need a night out. Like you know how sometimes Mommy and Daddy go out and you spend the evening with Grandma and Grandpa?
Olivia: Yeah
Me: Well, that’s what Uncle Matt and Aunt Emily want to do. They want a night out.
Olivia: Mommy, you go get Baby Aizy and you and Daddy bring her to Grandma and Grandpa’s!

I mean, really, when did this happen? When did we go from barely saying “Mama!” to entire logical conversations? I am blown away and a little overwhelmed by this.

And not all of our conversations are totally clear. Like the one we had at the beginning of the week:

Olivia; I spread it on the bed.
Me: You spread what on the bed?
Olivia: No, on the BED.
Me: On the bed?
Olivia: NO! On the BED!
Me: hmmmm...you aren't saying 'bed?'
Olivia, No, BED.
Me: Can you explain?
Olivia: Hmmmm...*looks around the room* Peanut butter and jelly!
Me: OH, the BREAD!!!!
Olivia: *big smile* Yes, the BED! 

I seriously do LOVE getting to hear all The Boss Lady has to say. She’s a pretty funny kid and she is constantly sharing her thoughts with us. When she started getting really chatty Mike said, “Well, no wonder she cried all of the time as a baby, she had all of this to say and never could get it out! Can you imagine having ALL of this in your head and not being able to communicate?” He makes a good point.

And though I do miss the days of the “Woof Woof’s,” I love getting to ask my sweet girl how her day at school went and hearing some seriously random and entertaining stories from her. IS there a prouder moment than when your child reports, “I didn’t pee-pee in my panties today!”?  Yeah, I think not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment