Saturday, February 16, 2013

Deep thoughts from 'The Bachelor'


Confession time: I’m a HUGE fan of ‘The Bachelor’ and ‘The Bachelorette’ series on t.v. True story. No judging! I’m not sure what it is about this ridiculous show but I am hooked and every season I record the show and watch for a solid hour (or more) as young men and women from all over the country publicly humiliate and slut themselves out. My love for this crap is a sickness, I’m aware.

Today I was catching up on this week’s episode and there was one moment that actually sort of touched me and made me think a little. The Bachelor was asking one of his Harem Girls who he would meet if he were to go home and meet her family. And she was telling him that he would meet her parents and she started crying talking about her family and about what they meant to her. She went on to say how much she respected her parents and their marriage and how they had exactly what she wanted in a relationship and marriage for herself.

Put aside the fact that if she actually respected her parents, she wouldn’t go on that show to begin with. It was actually a really sweet thing to say. I mean, as parents, Mike and I REALLY hope one day Olivia would like to emulate our marriage. I hope one day she is telling a man she cares about that she hopes to have a marriage like her dad and me. Albeit, I hope it’s not on national television and that I don’t have to watch her cat-fighting with 25 other women over said man.

Our marriage is certainly not perfect but Mike and I love and respect each other deeply and I’d really like it if our daughter was able to see that so clearly that she wants that for herself. I’d love it if, as a teenager, we are able to set a good example for her when she starts dating. I’d love it if, as a young woman, we’ve taught her to demand from and give respect to a partner to grow a healthy relationship. And, you know, it would be nice if she thought enough of us to NOT compromise her self-respect and reputation for a show that basically provides a legal brothel of 25 women for one man.

Don’t get me wrong—I’m still gonna watch the show. That nonsense is priceless. It’s like watching a train wreck. You want to look away but just CAN’T.  I just hope my daughter is never one of the passengers on that train. But if she is, and she’s telling the King of the Sluts that our marriage is what she wants for herself and she could somehow swing it so we could be on one of the episodes filmed on some tropical island, I guess I’d be okay with that. I kid! I kid! Kind of…

No comments:

Post a Comment