Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Big 3-0!

Happy Happy Happy Birthday to ME today!!!! Yes, today, I am 30 years old!!! And what an amazing 30 years it's been! I know so many are often nervous about this milestone but I was and am not. I actually love birthdays, especially mine! It seems that every year I am getting better & better. And I don't just mean that to be funny! I'm serious!

I have been so fortunate in my 30 years and with every birthday my life has gotten richer and more full. Every year I grow and am more comfortable in my own skin. Each birthday gives me a chance to celebrate the life I have, the life God has blessed me with--and it is a WONDERFUL LIFE!

On Saturday night, my husband threw me the most incredible birthday party! Friends and family came from all over the metroplex and many from out of the city or state. It was a night I will never, ever forget and I am so overwhelmed with how generous everyone was!

I felt like I was back in college as the dancing started and that feeling was even more amplified when I got on stage with the band to belt out Sweet Home Alabama as though I was FROM Alabama! Only this time I wasn't asked to get off the stage--a story for another time. ;)

This was better than college though. Because now, all of my friends and family have reached a point in our lives where we no longer care what everyone is thinking. We aren't worried about looking silly. We just want to have fun and create memories to last a lifetime. When Mike suggested we do a party for my 30th, I was worried that no one would want to come (Yes, there is a still little girl inside who worries about things like that!). Mike convinced me though by reminding me that we need to continue creating fun memories with whoever shows up. You know by now that I lost my dad very young. Mike also lost his dad just 7 years ago. Both of our dads loved being around people and lived to have a good time. We embraced their fun-loving spirits at the party and everyone had a blast dancing, singing along with the band, and spending time together.

Some other perks to being 30 and NOT in college anymore: we didn't have to drink cheap drinks like Boone's Farm out of a paper bag, we got to use a clean restroom instead of the dirty frat house bathroom, everyone was mature enough not to cause any drama or chaos, oh, and I got to go home with the cutest guy in the place!

My 20's were a wonderful decade full of so many life changes. In my 20's I graduated college, met and married my dream guy, had a baby, and made many memories with family and friends. I loved being 20-something but I am so excited to usher in this new decade and it's already started off with a bang!

As I blew out my birthday candles Saturday night, I realized I really didn't have anything to wish for. You know when you are younger, you imagine your Dream Life? Well, I have BETTER than that life. Truly. I didn't marry Donnie from New Kids on the Block--I got to marry someone even better. I have an incredible husband, an amazing daughter, and friends and family who are always here with us through the good and bad. My only wish as I blew out the candles was that we would all be together for many more celebrations in this life.

And I hope at my 60th, I'm still getting on stage with the band!

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday to ME!!!

Air guitar with the band!
This party rocks!

1 comment: