Thursday, February 19, 2015

Just say "No."

A few months ago, I read a blog written by a mother who talked about letting her child reserve the right to say “No.”  She was specifically referring to her female child and her right to refuse hugs in particular. I thought it was a very good read and brought up some very good points about how we teach our little girls that they can’t say “No” and the implications of that further down the road. The mom blogger’s point was that we should allow children to say “No.” (There were several other great points in the piece and I apologize that I can’t remember the name of the blog or the piece to share.)

At any rate, I think we’ve done a pretty good job teaching Olivia that she has the right to make choices and to say “No” every now and again. Of course, we try to encourage a “thank you” on the end of that. For instance, if a friend wants her to do something she’s not interested in, she has a right to say “No thank you.” Pretty simple.

Somehow though, in all of my efforts to teach my child that she is in control of her decisions, I’ve forgotten my own right to say “No” every now and then. Well, tonight, I’m taking a stand. I’m reserving my right to say “No.” After all, I’m a grown freaking woman, right?? I get to say “No” sometimes, right? Right.

Here are just a few of the things I’m reserving my right to say “No” to from here on:

No, I do not want to play the Animal Game. Again. For the 87th time today.

No, I do not want to try your boogers.

No, I will not play the Frozen soundtrack again. For the 7,867 time this week.

No, you cannot see my poop or your brother’s poop, or any poop that is not your own.

No, I do not want to help you wipe your bottom.

No, you cannot have a drink of my water. You have your own water. I just want to drink my own water!

No, I will not read another story. Because 548 stories in a night is sufficient.

No, I will not smell your feet.

No, you cannot tell me a secret. Because getting 2 millimeters from my ear and making a gagging noise is not a secret.

No, I will not tuck you in. Again. For the 67th time tonight.

No, I don’t want to talk about flowers.

No, I don’t want to watch My Little Pony.

No, I will not stop drinking this wine. I don’t care if it’s 9:45. In the morning.


Aaaaahhhh... That felt good! It feels good to assert my rights as a woman! 

HEAR ME ROAR, WORLD!

Okay, break time’s over. I have bottoms to wipe and stories to read. It felt good to imagine though…

That last one though…I’m definitely asserting myself there. How else am I going to make it through playing the Animal Game just one more time?




No comments:

Post a Comment