Tuesday, November 19, 2013

11 Confessions of a Really, Really, Real Mom: #2

There’s a new craze in the Facebook world where people are posting a certain number of random facts about themselves. And if you ‘like’ or comment on their post, they’ll give you a number, and you have to come up with that many random facts about yourself. I’m not much for the Facebook crazes but I actually think this one is kind of fun. I’m going to do it a little differently though. I received the number 11 from my good friend, Brandie, and I’m happy to share 11 things about myself. But I’m going to do it here on this trusty blog and share one a day for 11 days. And they’ll be random things about myself specifically relating to motherhood. Let’s call it 11 Confessions from a Really Really Real Mom. Here we go:

Number 2:  I think that people who only post happy pictures of their kids and statements about how being a Mommy is the best thing EVER all of the freaking time are on drugs. Yeah, I said it. This one goes out to those of you who never have ANYTHING negative to say about Parenthood EVER.

I used to be really confounded by you. I used to be frustrated that you had NOTHING negative to say EVER. I just didn't get it. My feelings toward you were partly made up of jealousy. Why did everything appear to be so easy for you? Was there something I was doing wrong? Was there something wrong with ME? Nah. That couldn't be it.

Then I wondered if maybe you were completely delusional. How else could a woman who I knew to be so REAL pre-motherhood suddenly sound like a baby product ad where everything is rainbows and roses and babies are sleeping and moms have great hair? I get that it’s your Facebook feed and you can post anything you want. Hell, mine reads like a liquor store ad most weeks. But COME ON. Every single day for you is just wonderful and great and such a blessing? Every single day? Really?

It’s not that I don’t think you should be positive about your role as a mom. Motherhood is hard enough without the constant negativity and we do try to squeeze out every ounce of happy from every smile or successful day. I’m with you on that one. I don't want to sound like I'm encouraging you to be negative but at least a little bit of reality would be refreshing. For all its awesomeness, there’s a lot of crap to sort through in Motherhood (literally and figuratively). I think it’s realistic to expect that moms are going to have good days and really, really ugly days. I was just confused how some of you seem to NEVER have the ugly days.

For the longest time I just could not understand those posts that went something like this “Today I am a little dizzy and disoriented because I haven’t slept in 7 days, and I don’t remember the last time I had a hot meal or a shower (hot or otherwise), and I am covered in feces and urine BUT being a Mommy is the best job EVER!” For real? Do you realize that post sounds like you spent the week in a POW camp in Afghanistan? I am all about finding the silver lining but some days just SUCK and I just don’t see the harm in just outright admitting it. Being a Mommy really is an incredible blessing but some days, it’s a major A$$ Whoopin’.

But then one day I got it. I figured it out! You aren't crazy. You’re on drugs. Whew. I was worried for a while. I mean, drugs I can deal with. It was your delusions that made me want to block you and stay far, far away. Look, I’m not judging here. I get it. Really. You post all of that Happy All Of The Time stuff because you are on mind altering chemicals.  Hell, the whole time I thought you were delusional, you probably thought I was a cynical and sarcastic alcoholic.


It’s cool though, you have your drugs, I have my wine…hey, we should get the kids together soon! That sounds like my kind of playdate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment