Monday, November 18, 2013

11 Confessions of a Really, Really, Real Mom: #1

There’s a new craze in the Facebook world where people are posting a certain number of random facts about themselves. And if you ‘like’ or comment on their post, they’ll give you a number, and you have to come up with that many random facts about yourself. I’m not much for the Facebook crazes but I actually think this one is kind of fun. I’m going to do it a little differently though. I received the number 11 from my good friend, Brandie, and I’m happy to share 11 things about myself. But I’m going to do it here on this trusty blog and share one a day for 11 days. And they’ll be random things about myself specifically relating to motherhood. Let’s call it 11 Confessions from a Really, Really, Real Mom. Here we go:

Number 1:  My biggest pet peeve is when my child spills something. I mean I really can’t stand it. I have to grit my teeth and clench my jaw as I grumble “Go get a towel please.” But in my head, Super Duper Crazy Me is shouting “WHY IN THE HELL CAN’T WE HAVE ONE FREAKING MEAL WITHOUT ME FEELING LIKE I’M IN THE KITCHEN SCENE OF GREMLINS!!!????!!!!”

It’s not that I’m mad at Olivia per say. I think my frustration is twofold. The first is that I grew up pretty broke. I hate wasting food. HATE IT. I hate it so much that I have no qualms about scraping mold off of something and eating it anyway. Luckily, I don’t have to do that much these days but I’ll do it and not feel bad about it. I can’t stand seeing a perfectly good glass of milk tumble over and watch as white rivers run across my kitchen floor. It just feels so wasteful.

But the biggest issue here, I think, is that I feel deceived. Yes, deceived. Deceived by every Cup-With-a-Lid manufacturer out there who created their product to give the impression that as long as you have secured their trusty little lid on their trusty little cup, you will live a life of spill free-ness. Lies!!! All lies!!!

Use a “sippy cup” you say? Well, aside from having such an asinine name, those things are useless. We have tried at least 87 designs of these things and my child has managed to get all of them to leak. Who tests those things anyway? Probably adults. And adults should never test anything that a kid is going to use. I don’t care what your IQ is or what your degree is, no adult on the planet can figure out how to destroy something as well as a child. They think of things that no adult in history would have thought of doing. Like the time we got out of the car and Olivia leaned down, stuck her hand through the spokes on the wheel, and burned her hand on the brake rotor. True story. Never in my life have I seen someone even THINK about sticking their bare hand on a hot brake rotor. So trust me when I say that my child doesn’t see the phrase “Child-Proof” as a promise. She’s sees it as a challenge. No sippy cup on this planet will survive my house. You say “sippy-cup.” I say “Stupid Word for a Stupid Cup.”

And how in the crap can one tiny cup of 8 ounces of milk make the Gulf Oil Spill look like…well…like spilled milk?? Suddenly, 8 ounces has the power to cover my entire kitchen in a matter of milliseconds. And 8 weeks later when I’m walking past a wall with strange streaks down it, I’ll remember that spilled milk that hit the floor and managed to create a 12 foot spill radius.

Also, I’d like to review the phrase “It’s no use crying over spilled milk.” Whoever came up with that didn’t have kids. Because there may be no use but when given an opportunity to act right and clean up after themselves or stand in the middle of the mess and cry, well, I think we all know which option a child goes with. Seriously, why is SHE crying anyway? I’m the one on the floor wiping up milk on my hands and knees and being reminded yet again that I forgot to sweep under the kitchen cabinets.

Normal people would offer to help with the cleanup. If I knocked a glass of water on you at your favorite Mexican food restaurant, I would jump up in embarrassment and start throwing napkins your way while I helped move your brand new smart phone out of the way of my re-enactment of the Great Flood. But not a kid. Oh no. A kid will just shrug, say “I’m sorry” in a super sweet voice, reach across you for another chip, and crunch away while you scramble around on the French fry encrusted restaurant floor (why the crap are there French fries at a Mexican food place anyway???).

This morning, I was reminded how very much I hate spills when my child knocked a full glass of hot chocolate onto the living room carpet. Hence the new rule in our house “No More Eating Or Drinking In The Living Room.” Too bad I didn’t think of that little gem BEFORE I had a nice hot chocolate colored stain right in front of my couch.


Too add insult to injury, a few moments later, as I was still fuming about the hot chocolate, I reached into the pantry and knocked a box of rice onto the floor causing a—yep you guessed it!—rice spill. Too bad they don’t make a sippy cup for rice. Ah well, at least the kid comes by it honestly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment