Monday, May 23, 2011

Resolution Update: Week 20

Weight: 138. GRRRRR!!!! These last few pounds are just so elusive!

Diet/Exercise: Nothing new here!

Thoughts/Reflections for the week: So, now that I'm thin, I find that the first thing people want to know when they see the "new me" is "What are you doing????" I think that most people are a little bummed to find out that all I'm doing is eating well and exercising. I understand that. The way I've lost this weight is not the easy way. There was no magic potion or super secret exercise boot camp or something that I am doing. I just take care of myself EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

I'm not going to lie and say things like "Oh, it was sooooooo easy!" or "I get to eat whatever I want!" The truth is, it wasn't easy. This took a lot of long talks with myself, prayer, talking with Mike or my sister when I felt like I was about to cave, and finding my own motivation. It wasn't easy but I have gotten used to this new lifestyle. I found that once I stopped eating a bunch of junk, it just gets easier to say "no" when I feel tempted. And I feel tempted A LOT. Last week, I drove past a Panda Express and I nearly wrecked my car because I was too busy staring with longing at the sign instead of paying attention to the cars in front of me. What can I say? I love some fried rice and orange chicken (extra fried, please).

There were days that I had to be hungry. Once I realized I was eating way too many calories, I had to do the math and give my body enough to function. But that meant that I felt hungry a lot in the beginning. And I HATE feeling hungry. I mean, I get all dramatic and start crying and talking nonsense. It's not pretty. Just ask Mike. I got through that by reminding myself that my body had everything it needed to do its job. The hunger I was feeling wasn't because I needed more fuel. It was because my stomach was all stretched out from my prior bad eating habits.

So, with all of this unpleasantness that comes with making such a big lifestyle change, why did I do it? And why do I continue and plan to continue to do this EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. FOR. THE. REST. OF. MY. LIFE?

Because I love the way I feel right now. I love knowing that I have a shot at not developing a bunch of conditions later in life because of my weight. I love how it feels when I put on clothes and look in the mirror and, for the first time in YEARS, think "Yeah, I look nice." I love that I just feel better overall because I'm not bogging my body down with an extra 30 pounds. I love knowing I'm setting a good example for The Boss Lady. Kids learn behavior from their parents and I want her to be a healthy and confident little girl. And all of those things are worth saying "no" to a piece of cake when it's not my cheat day.

So, next week, I'm wrapping this all up with a bikini photo shoot! Look out world!

No comments:

Post a Comment