Monday, January 28, 2013

A Real American Love Story...


Eight years ago today, at around this time, I was getting ready to go out to meet some coworkers for a happy hour. There wasn't anything exciting about this happy hour (most of us were single or newlyweds without kids so happy hour was a common occurrence) but I had no idea that that night would literally change my life forever. That night, I met the tall, brown-haired, blue-eyed, Catholic Irishman who would turn out to be the person with whom I would spend the rest of my life.

But let me back up to the time when I wanted to run Mike Milligan over with my car:

Mike and I were working for the same company but in different offices. We were both team managers but, because this city is so big, we hadn't run into each other in person. We had, however, had a few *run ins* over the phone. Also, I should mention that his brother, Matt, was a team manager for this same company in the same office where Mike worked.

Matt and I were both weekend managers and one of the many areas of contention with our former employer was “Territory.” Each office handled a set territory and we were all always warring with each other over who got what work in what territory. One weekend, Matt and I got into on the phone over a territory dispute. That was all it took for me to decide that That Milligan Boy was an ass.

The funny thing is, I didn't even know there were TWO of them. Every time I saw the initials MM, my lip would involuntarily curl up in a snarl. I was convinced this “MM” was a total terd.

I know this all sounds childish but, trust me; this territory nonsense was a big deal back then.

Several weeks later, I had the perfect opportunity to pay back my nemesis and I seized it! That Milligan Boy (Mike this time, not Matt) called me to discuss a territory dispute and I proudly told him that there was nothing to discuss  and disconnected our call. I silently high fived my B%*&$y self and went on about my day. Crazily enough, my behavior didn't make “MM” my biggest fan either.

You can imagine the egg on my face when I found out there was more than one of That Milligan Boy and that my revenge had been visited on the wrong one. But still, they were brothers and if one deserved it, the other probably did too!

So there I was, 8 years ago tonight, getting ready for a happy hour with my office. I wore my standard blue jeans, black shirt, and black boots. As I locked my apartment door and got in my car, I said a prayer that my debit card had enough money to cover the bar tab.

I arrived and started chatting with my coworkers and about half way into my first beer, one of my team members, Adam, walks in with this good looking guy. He was tall, had a friendly face and warm eyes, and was wearing a brown leather jacket. He and Adam headed my way and as he sauntered slowly and deliciously across the room, the sweetest smile locked on his handsome face, I *KNEW* that this was That Damn Milligan Boy.

He walked up to me all cool and collected. Adam introduced me and he stuck out his hand and said “I’m Mike Milligan.” “I know who you are,” I replied and walked away. ‘Ha!’ I thought to myself. ‘I’m so freaking cool. I’ll show *him* who’s still in charge here.’ Lame, yes. I know. I was young and dumb and trying to impress a boy. I probably read that trick in Cosmo or something.

As the night went on, our group moved to another bar and after a few more beers, I found myself chatting it with The Milligan Boy. And as it turned out, he was pretty nice. And even cuter up close without my b*&%h face on.

On a side note, Matt also came out that night and I got the chance to distinguish between the two Milligan boys. I found that Matt was pretty nice too. I also got to meet his sweet and funny girlfriend too (who would later become my sister in law!).  I realized this Milligan crew was kind of a lot of fun and not so terdy as I originally thought.

At some point in the evening, we got to talking about investments. Please don’t ask me how that conversation came up because I’m still not sure. Anyway, so Mike says something about investing and I, attempting to impress this good looking and apparently investment savvy man, say “Oh, I love investing!” His eyes lit up with excitement. “Really?” he asked with genuine delight. “What are you investing in right now? What investments do you have?” Aw, crap.

I blinked several times like I was having a seizure, bit my lip to appear seductive and cute and stammered, “Oh, er, um, I don’t actually have any investments…but I think they’re kind of cool. I’d like to have some…someday (when I don’t have student loans coming out of my ears and finally have money for more than just ketchup and baking soda in my fridge).”

And I should have known then that this man was special because my sweet and gracious future husband just smiled and said “Oh, that’s great!” And he totally let me off the hook.

My new found crush also tricked me that night. A couple of years after we met, Mike was giving a guy friend some dating advice and he said something like “You know when you are ‘in’ with a girl when she buys you a beer.” I scoffed and said “Looks like that didn't work so great for YOU.” “Really, you sure?” he asked all innocently. I had to think back to our happy hour meeting and then I remembered: I HAD BOUGHT HIM A BEER! How did that happen?? How did I end up buying him a beer? He’s good ladies, he’s good. And he was right: I was REALLY into him.

And, okay, I’ll tell this part of the story though it casts Mike and me in an…interesting…light:  After who-knows-how-many beers, we kissed. A lot. And he was the best kisser I had EVER kissed. True story. Still is, folks, still is.

At the end of the night, he asked for my number and said he would call me the next day. I wasn't sure I believed that but I really hoped he would.

That night, as I drove home, I felt happy and excited. I didn't have any feelings of *knowing* that he was THE ONE or anything like that. I just felt happy and peaceful and like I had just had a great night talking to (and, er, kissing) a really great guy. I really did hope he would call but I didn't want to get my hopes up.

But hope is what Mike Milligan brought into my life that day and he’s delivered on his promises every day since. 

The next day, as promised, my phone rang. I said hello and had my very first phone conversation with the man who became my very last boyfriend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment