Sunday, June 19, 2011

To my husband on his FIRST Father's Day...

Dear Mike,

I always knew you'd be a great dad but seeing you in action has been incredible. Right now, I'm listening to you read nursery rhymes to our daughter and I am just struck once more by how blessed I am to have you as the father of our child.

From those first hours in the hospital when you refused to let the nurse change Oli's diaper because you wanted to learn how to do it yourself to the nights when she wakes up and you get up before I am even fully awake, you have shown how much you love Olivia and what a great daddy you truly are.

I love the look in your eyes when you walk in the front door and see our sweet girl. I love how she smiles and her eyes light up when she hears your voice. I love the sound of your voice when you talk to her, how you are so silly with her. I love that there is nothing you aren't willing to do to help me out around the house or with Olivia. You are kind, loving, funny, caring, and giving at all times.

It takes a special man to be a daddy to a little girl and our little girl pretty much won the daddy lottery.

I have seen our love change, grow, and evolve into something more complete since The Boss Lady made her way into our lives. You have always been a wonderful husband and now I have seen you prove that even more. You keep me balanced, sane, laughing, and inspired through this whole crazy journey. Because of you, I am driven to be a better wife, woman, and mom. I have fallen in love with you in a whole new way.

You always tell me that I am a great mom. If I am a great mom, it is because I am inspired by you. I am inspired by watching your patience when things get crazy and your unconditional love when things are not always easy.

I have warned you before that raising a teenage girl is going to be one insane ride. I know because I WAS a teenage girl. Teenage girls are a...special breed. But I have no doubt that you will thrive during that part of this journey too. I have no doubt that your love for our daughter will remain strong and steady. Your love will be the standard she holds every other man to. Your love will be that reminder to her that she does not have to accept anything less than absolute love, honesty, respect, and care.

Thank you for being a wonderful dad to our sweet girl and for being an awe-inspiring partner to me. Thank you for all you do for our family. For giving of yourself everyday to make our life happy, healthy, and whole. Olivia and I are so blessed to have you.

I know our sweet girl would tell you she loves you if she could. I see the love for you in her eyes every day. And though she often clings to me or reaches for me when she is tired or upset, it is your presence that calms her at night. It is the smile on your face that causes the one on hers at the end of the day. It is your funny voices and antics that make her laugh during bathtime.

We are often told what a wonderful and happy child we have. I believe this is because of all of the love and care she receives from you, from me, and from us as a couple.

Thank you for embarking on this incredible journey with me. I absolutely could not do this without you. I love you more than all of the stars in the sky.

Happy Happy Father's Day,

Steph


No comments:

Post a Comment