Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A prayer for my daughter

My dear, sweet Olivia,

Today is mine and your dad's 3rd anniversary! Three years ago today, I made the greatest decision of my life when I looked into your father's eyes and said, "I do." The past 3 years have been full of so much love, fun, laughter, and adventure. This year, we've added you to our family and the journey just keeps getting crazier and better!

There are so many things I hope and pray for you, my sweet girl. One of the greatest things I could pray for would be for you to find a love and a marriage like I have found with your dad. I pray that you find a man who is as amazing as your father and that you are as happy as I have been since the day I met him.

I pray that you find a man who puts you second because he puts God first. Marriage isn't always easy and your dad and I have been able to grow together because we make our marriage about something bigger than ourselves. Each morning, no matter how rushed he is to get to work, your dad wakes me to pray with me (and now you!) before we start our days. Each night, we say a prayer over you. Just 2 nights ago, I listened as he prayed over you and it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. And on Sundays, we go to church as a family. Being married to your dad has helped me to grow stronger in my faith and I pray that the man you marry helps you to grow closer to God as well. Often, at the end of the day, your dad will tell me that he prayed for me that day. When he takes the time out of his day to lift me up in prayer, I see the depth of his love for me more clearly than if he uttered 1,000 "I love you's."

I pray that you find a man who makes you laugh. And not just because he's funny, but because he helps you to laugh at yourself. Life is crazy and stressful and wonderful and FUNNY! It's easy to spend so much time worrying and being serious so find someone who puts a smile on your face daily. Find a man who can make you laugh even while you are trying so hard to be angry at him.

I pray that you find a man who makes you feel like the only woman on the planet. I have no idea who your dad's "celebrity crush" is. And I know he's got to think there are other beautiful women out there! But he never makes me feel like I'm second to any other woman. He has been passionate and romantic with me as often when I am in jeans and a t-shirt as he has when I am dressed up.

I pray that you find a man who challenges you to be better--without ever asking you to. Your dad is the kindest and gentlest man I have ever known. He is truly an amazing husband and father and I know he deserves someone just as wonderful. I am challenged each day to be a better person but he has never asked me to change or complained about who I am. He knows and loves ALL OF ME--even the not-so-pretty parts. Since meeting him, I have grown and become more "me" than I had been before him. I have no idea what I did to deserve him, but I'll spend the rest of my life trying to. And he does the same for me.

I pray that you find a man who will some day hold your daughter in his arms and you will see a love in his eyes that no words can describe. In that moment, you'll fall more in love with him and be convinced, yet again, that you have found your match. You'll watch him change her diaper, feed her, hug her, make crazy faces at her, and you'll feel overwhelmed by your love for him. And he'll help keep you sane and smiling when that same sweet little girl makes you feel like you are losing your mind! ;)

I pray that you find a man who makes you feel like you won the lottery every single day. Every evening, when you dad walks through the front door, I feel like it's Christmas day. I get excited to see him when he's been away and when we are together I feel like the luckiest woman in the world.

All of these things I pray for you because I know first-hand what it means to have these things in a partner. Your dad is my soul mate and best friend. We are always a team.

I pray that your dad and I can be an example for you of what a healthy marriage looks like. And I pray that you can see clearly how much we love each other and how our love for each other created you. And that someday, you also know how it feels to be married to your soul mate, to the person that God created for you. Your dad and I will be praying for that person for you. Don't ever settle for less, even when it feels like you'll never find him. He's out there and he's worth the wait. I am so happy I never settled. If I had, I wouldn't have you.

And as I always tell your dad, I love you more than all of the stars in the sky.

Love, Mom

October 27, 2007
The day we became a family--Team Milligan!

No comments:

Post a Comment