Sunday, September 19, 2010

A different kind of Saturday night...

Okay, so my Saturday evening didn't go quite the way I envisioned. The minute I finished my last post, my angel woke up wanting to be held. We did join Mike on the patio but only long enough to inform him that we needed to give Sweet Pea a bath and fix something for dinner for the 2 of us.

After falling asleep on the couch together (Yes, all 3 of us! It was bliss!), we woke around 11 and headed to bed. We got Oli ready and I laid down in bed to nurse her. There I sat with my sweet baby in one arm and a good book in the other. She was nursing peacefully and I stroked her back. That's when I felt it. That warm, wet, gooey feeling that can only be one thing: baby poop. I froze. I gagged. I tried to think clearly. Did I interrupt a peaceful eater to clean off my arm and her back? Did I just continue nursing her while holding one arm up in the air and pray that no other poop ended up on any other surface?

I did what any mother of a quietly nursing infant would do: I screamed "Oh my God!!! This is so gross! Mike, get me a towel!!!" And he did what any sweet, supportive husband and father would do: He laughed. A lot. At me. And SLOWLY went to get me a towel.

And so our Saturday night ended with us cleaning up poop both off of ourselves and our sweet baby. I went to sleep that night thinking, "How in the hell can a baby actually poop up her own back???"

After all of that, this morning I woke to find The Boss Lady curled up next to me sleeping soundly. She has this sweet and kind of weird way of sleeping where she clenches her fists up near her face and arches her back. During the early hours of the morning, she stretches and arches her back even more and make these crazy faces where she puckers her lips and furrows her brow. And I swear it is the cutest most amazing sight in the world. Mike and I just laid there watching her for a few moments.


Okay, so our Saturday night didn't end in the greatest way possible. But, our Sunday morning began in such an amazing way.

1 comment:

  1. Steph, this is so great that you are doing this. I think you are such an articulate writer and you are hilarious, too! Plus, it will be fun to have another connection with you guys since we don't get to see you very often. I love the photo of Olivia sleeping; she looks like a baby in a magazine. And the one of her crying is hysterical. I love the photos when they are not all perfect, because it's REAL.

    ReplyDelete